Wednesday, September 17, 2008

BTBB: Winning with the P&G 99


Title:


Winning with the P&G 99 – Principles and Practices of Proctor & Gamble’s Success (reprint)


Authors:


Charles L. Decker (Former P&G Brand Manager) He was promoted to Brand Manager in 3 years! But I don’t really give a damn because P&G has always promised their staff promotion in 3 years under their corporate program.


Total Pages: 236 pages


ISBN: 0-671-01740-3


Year: 1998


Nature of the book: Marketing Operation, Marketing Management, Consumers Marketing


____________________________________________


How do I come across these books?


My whole team was forced to read this book when I was in my previous Japanese company! My marketing manager is somehow a bookworm, and is a very theoretical person; I do not disagree with the book, but disagree with his way of imparting his experiences. We were made to share 5 pages a day, and it was made compulsory that everyone was to share their piece of thought. This is how I get to know this book!


How do I find this book?


This book is very helpful especially for those doing marketing; Proctor and Gamble have always set a good tracks record in marketing and that everyone is trying to imitate or follow. This book gives a very good insight of marketing operation, and teaches you the way to execute. It is more about marketing operation and execution and less of strategic thinking. My thought is that it is extremely helpful for marketing execution, and is worth to buy one and keep it with you; For me, I constantly look back to the book when I find myself forgetting the essence of certain areas in my marketing execution.


The book is section by ‘lesson’, and each lesson represents one principles. For example,


  • Lesson ONE: Trust you consumes

The consumer is discerning and discriminating. She carefully weighs the relative merits of available products against their relative costs. The manufacturer who offers real value will be rewarded! ….


  • Lesson 26: Opinion don’t count

When decisions have to be made in the absence of facts, it’s a mistake to confuse ‘gut-feel’ opinion, which is not actionable at P&G, and informed judgment….


How has it helped me in my life, work or any others…?


It helps me in my marketing execution skills, sharpening my marketing thought, and also allows me to apply the knowledge in my day to day work. However one must understand, what you read is what you need, and is what you should try to use; never ‘simply read’. This book talks a lot about marketing execution and it is most helpful when you are in the line of marketing operation in FMCG Company.

No comments: